Friday, June 5, 2009

Treadmill Running vs. Outdoor Running

In a tropical country such as ours, these options are usually thought about. Considering the fact that rainshowers are common here in the Philippines, not to mention the several tropical depressions wherein sometimes the alphabet is not enough to name them all, running enthusiast have always had ways of satisfying their "addiction".

I started running outdoors three years ago. Nothing can match the cool morning breeze and the sight of the Sun finding its way up the skies ......but it was summer then. Three or four months later, the rainy season came in. I find it hard to wake up early in the morning whenever its raining. I also feel quite uncomfortable when my feet are soaked and my wet hair is all over my face. Doing it once in a while may be fun but since I run 4-6 times a week, getting soaked often may have negative effects on me healthwise.

I signed up in a nearby gym and began to train on a Treadmill. It was boring at first but thanks to my trusty little MP3 player, I was able to get on with it as I enjoy some nice music that stimulates my senses. Having to wake up a bit later, around 7 am instead of the usual 5 am also made the habit much easier to cope up with. After 8 weeks of continous Treadmill run, I began to miss running outdoors. I got worried because I thought running indoors may have caused me to be slower but I was wrong. I felt just as great but I did miss the Sun, the wind, and the feeling of letting my entire being experience the dynamism of the Earth.
Trainingwise, I didn't really feel the difference but "Funwise", I 'd rather run outdoors.

Now here goes the real comparison. Starting with the disadvantages of Tradmill Running versus Outdoor Running, first is the cost. A good quality Treadmill would normally require you to spend around Php 25,000 compared to almost nothing when you run outdoors. Second is the space required at home since most of these machines are bulky. Last would be lack of fresh air which is good for the lungs. When it comes to the advantages, being able to run anytime and any weather is a strong one. Personal safety is also an issue. Thirdly, most Treadmills have better shock absorption since they are professionally designed to absorb shocks running can give thus it is better for your joints. In addition, some people would love to show off their nice shape and form on the streets but some would rather run in private not worrying about what they are wearing or how much they weigh.
Running on a treadmill may seem easier physically because the ground is being pulled underneath your feet and there's no wind resistance. Running outdoor demands more from your body because you're propelling your body forward stride for stride.You can better simulate outdoor running by setting your treadmill at 1% incline. Mentally, you may also have a tougher time dealing with the monotony of the treadmill. Moreover, if you're training for road race, try to run outdoors as much as you can. It's even better if you run on the exact race route to maximize your training.

The bottomline is, if you could run outside then run outside, I can guarantee it to be more fun, if you can't, then take the Treadmill....what's important is KEEP ON RUNNING!

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." -Jesse Owens


Sources:
Treadmill Image Source : http://www.bodycraft.com/

4 comments:

  1. thanks for this. i've been looking for a similar thread in takbo.ph, but i can't seem to find one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I bought a treadmill that cost 9k, manual treadmill hehehehe. I've only used it for 3 km after that, I ran outdoors. I guess it takes a lot of patience and sheerwill to learn how to run on treadmill.

    Sam
    The Running Ninja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too :) although mine was only Php6.5K..haha...My feet used to hurt immediately after using it. I had to stop because aside from that, the pad got ripped after a few months...:) I think its the motorized type that can simulate outdoor running the closest though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used to have that manual treadmill. =) and like yours it broke after a few months. so rain or shine run ang lolo sa kalsada. =)

    ReplyDelete