Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Bass, the Beat, and the Runner (Vol. I Chap. II)

My Unceasing Journey to Solstice
Vol. I - The "Lean" Revelation


Chapter II of IV
The Bass, the Beat, and the Runner

What does music have to do with running?
In my case, I'ts just as important as my running shoes, hydration, or a running buddy.

I'm the kind of person who easily gets bored whenever I do something repeteadly for a prolonged period of time.


Since the very first time I ran, I've always had those little stuff stucked inside my ear.
After putting it on, I don't just hear music, I am also instantly transported somewhere else, from deep inside the woods while listening to Enya's "The Orinoco Flow" (the version mashed up with Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up :) ), to a jam packed concert where half of the audience are wearing nose rings, everyone going wild listening to Red Hot's The Zephyr Song. How about The Booty Music bringing me in the middle of a nice club in a snap.

Regardless of the beat, artist, lyrics, or genre. I can easily relate to music. It's not that I am reminded of anything. Usually, its my imagination that creates a scenario for me.

Let me give you an example. Lets say it's a live version, a song from Jason Mraz. The setting will be in a small acoustic bar with a small stage, maybe only 3-4 musicians. The singer (it could be Jason Mraz...or You...you may or may not hold a guitar), a drummer, and a guitarist. These people, or should I say "musicians" could be your friends, family, John Lennon (they don't necessarily have to be alive) or all could be You (I just find it hard to believe that's why I usually assign one for each).
Now If it's still a live version but this time its U2 on stage and not Jason Mraz, everything will be totally different. The small acoustic bar becomes a giant stadium and the nice acoustic guitar turns into a personalized electric guitar with your initials on it.

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't always have to ba a concert. Whenever I listen to a song from the Matrix' soundtrack, I turn into that guy wearing a black trench coat and the black shades.....well..uhm! the shades...not really... I don't have the pointed nose to keep it in place. :0

Now why am I telling you this? First and foremost, I don't see dead people ok?!!! Otherwise I'll be the first one to run away! What I'm trying to say is that running is not all pain, sweat or numbers. It's also about fun. And if doing it while listening to music makes it even better, then go on.

Whenever I do my long runs, from the time I started until now, listening to nice songs have really been a big help. It has always helped me get rid of boredom. Most of the time, If I am listening to songs that I like, I don't notice time passing by. I just find myself running for more than an hour without even knowing it.
Music is really a big part of my daily life. Listening to it while running is just one of many. There is a quote from Albert Einstein which I can really relate to ( I'm far from being a physicist though :) ).


“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. ... I get most joy in life out of music.”


____________________________________________

Note : It is always advisable to keep your player's volume at a level that's safe for both your health and safety. Maintaining just the right volume can help you avoid ear damage and at the same time allow you to be aware of your surroundings such as vehicles passing by or your fellow runners. - TBC

OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) - Occupational noise exposure
As seen in the OSHA Noise Exposure table below, the louder the sound, the less time it takes for damage to occur. OSHA limits noise exposure levels in the work environment to about 90dB for an 8-hour period, but permits exposure to higher levels for short periods. Many experts believe that the OSHA numbers are too high for hearing safety. EU countries have very strict laws about noise exposure. For example, U.K. employers must take action at two levels of noise exposure: 85dB and 90dB. At 85dB, employers must offer hearing protection and hearing education to employees. At 90dB or higher, employees MUST wear earplugs, and the employer MUST try to reduce the ambient noise level.
90 dbA - 8 hrs
92 dbA - 6 hrs
95 dbA - 4 hrs
97 dbA - 3 hrs
100 dbA - 2 hrs
102 dbA - 1.5 hrs
105 dbA - 1 hr
110 dbA - 0.5 hr
115 dbA - 0.25 hr or less
Note: When the daily noise exposure is composed of two or more periods of noise exposure of different levels, their combined effect should be considered, rather than the individual effect of each. Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level.
Decibel levels of common sounds

60 dB - Everyday conversation, ringing telephone.
70 dB - Restaurant.
80 dB - Heavy city traffic, alarm clock at 2 feet, factory noise, vacuum cleaner, garbage disposal.
90 dB - Subway trains, motorcycle, workshop tools, lawn mower.
100 dB - Chain saw, pneumatic drill.
110 dB - Dance club.
120 dB - Rock concert speaker sound, sandblasting, thunderclap.
130 dB - Jet take off, gunfire.
Source : http://headwize.com/articles/hearing_art.htm - Visit the site for detailed information.
Product images from : www.skullcandy.com

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Dave :) Ako I have an eclectic mix, anything uptempo man. From VST&CO, Village People to heavy alternative to eraserheads. anything to keep my minds away from the pain haha :)

    Regards,
    Luis
    http://gingerbreadrunning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Luis....actually, I have those in my player too....depends on my mood, or should I say, "daydream scene"...haha

    ReplyDelete